Take my life and let it be all for You and for Your Glory, take my life and let it be Yours.

Thursday, August 26, 2010

The art of flying pt 2

I know I just journaled a few days ago with this story and title....but its so important, I find it good to fit this story too. 

"Come to the edge", He said.

They said, "We're afraid."
"Come to the edge", He said.
They came...
And He pushed them...
And they flew.

God is always pushing us to be more then we are. To do things we don't think we can. To embrace things we don't think we need. To think differently. He knows what He created us to be, He knows how much more we can be. How I long to truly know in all things, that God is pushing me because He knows I will fly. With Him, I can do nothing but fly! Do I feel compelled to do something...but fear that I cant do it? Yep. But why? If God "is leading me to it, He will see me through it"....isn't that the saying?

My friend Mike was in a horrible motorcycle accident. A car of teenagers tried to beat him through an intersection. Mike on his bike was going straight. The teens were turning. Into his path. They didn't beat him. Mike was unable to stop and his their front passenger tire. With enough force, it broke his bike in half. He slid for 100+ feet on his back and then belly. It shredded his arms and hands. It broke his right arm through the skin. It broke his pelvis, in half. But he was alive.

I remember walking into his hospital room and seeing him there, so broken. So pain-ridden. I remember just wanting to embrace him, but afraid I would hurt him. The look of love and relief of his face when he woke from the narcotic induced sleep....was priceless. He instantly burst into tears that we were there. Not only was his body broken, but his spirit as well.

One can only handle so much....and Mike, he's had his share. He lost his wife 9 years ago, just a short time after they welcomed their 2nd son into this world. He was thrust into living a life he hadn't signed up for. He lost his high school sweetheart. The mother to his children. And I am sure....a bit of himself. I hope to never know that pain....but my heart breaks as I try to imagine it.

Years later as Mike tried to move on and rebuild his life...he became a victim of, 'she's not who you thought she was'. He married a second time, only to have that fall apart at the seams. Sometimes people put on such a good show. Sometimes pain runs too deep. Sometimes you just don't see the freight train coming, until you feel the wind of it blow your hair as it races by.

Not long after that, Mike was laid off from the place my husband works. He lost his home. The home he and his first wife, his high school sweetheart had bought together. A home they had created with two beautiful boys. A home that he maintained after her passing. He had to pick up the pieces and moved to Oak Harbor. Its been a long road....and it pains me as I write about it.

In the past 9 years Mike has had some rough times. He was not ready to hear the love of a Savior. He was not ready to allow himself to be caught up in the only thing that would set him free. Sometimes, it takes time. Sometimes, it takes a tragedy. Sometimes, it takes a good friend.

As we left that hospital room that night...I leaned down and kissed Mike on the forehead. I told him I loved him. His eyes filled up with tears and he told me that he loved me, and that he was holding on to all of our love, to stay strong through the tremendous pain. I grabbed his hand, put myself right in front of him and told him, "God loves you too" I got a PFT (you know the sound). He proceeded to tell me that he really was questioning that love....b/c he felt so much pain. So many things had compounded into a hurt, that he couldn't get past.

I continued to share that had God not loved him, he wouldn't be there. No doubt in my mind, that if God had not surrounded Mike in His embrace and shielded him as he slid 100+ feet down the road...he wouldn't be here. I told him that God will use what ever circumstances He can to get our attention (not that I thought God had caused this accident). I asked Mike, does He have your attention yet?

The very next night, a pastor visited Mike in his room. Wanted to share and read to him. Mike told the pastor outright, don't waste your time, I have no desire to hear what you have to say. The pastor pulled back, and struck up conversation. Saying alot of what I had shared with Mike the night before. It was as if hearing it twice...it seemed to make sense. The Heavens opened up and all of it celebrated, as Mike took the steps to becoming saved that night.

I cant help but think...Mikes pain and loss had brought Him to the edge....and God has pushed him. All because, God knew he would fly. Fly he has. He told me just the other night that he's not stressing, he's given it all to God, freed himself and he's resting comfortable. Testimony to what God can do in our lives! Can I get a Praise God??

Lord I pray for you to continue to heal Mikes injuries. Surround him with more love then he knows what to do with. Be with his kids as they all go through this together. Lord I ask you to take hold of Mikes finances and meet all of his needs. Your word says Lord, if we believe and ask, it shall be given....so Lord, I believe. I believe that you can heal all wounds. I believe that you love us more then the birds in the sky and you would make sure we always have what we need. Your word says where one or more come together in your name that you will give them what they ask....so Lord, I stand here in belief with Mike, asking for your love, grace and mercy to surround him. Thank you Lord, that Mike is still here...for I know how close we all came.

If anyone would like to join us for Mikes spaghetti benefit dinner it will be held October 2nd in Oak Harbor, Ohio at the Methodist Church. I will have more details if you are interested let me know.

And Mike.....spread your wings my friend.....and keep flying.

No comments:

Post a Comment